Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Yuen Long Government Primary School

Yuen Long Government Primary School is a primary school in Yuen Long, Hong Kong, founded in 1929. It is known for its affiliation with the three government secondary schools in the Yuen Long district, namely NT Heung Yee Kuk Yuen Long District Secondary School, Chiu Lut Sau Memorial Secondary School, Tin Shui Wai Government Secondary School.

Tuen Mun Government Secondary School

Tuen Mun Government Secondary School

Principal Mr. LEUNG Sair-ki
School type Governmental, Coed
Religious affiliation None
Founded 1982
Location New Territories, Hong Kong

Tuen Mun Government Secondary School is a secondary school in Tuen Mun of Hong Kong founded by Hong Kong Government. Located at Castle Peak Road near Castle Peak Bay, the school offers classes in the daytime. In addition, it offers evening courses.

Tsuen Wan Government Secondary School

Tsuen Wan Government Secondary School is an English-language co-education located at 70 Hoi Pa Street, Tsuen Wan, Hong Kong. The school building consists of the hall, the laboratory wing, the classroom wing, and the new wing . Mr. Yiu Sai-ming is the current principal of the school, beginning his term in September 2004.


There are 5 classes in each level from Secondary one to S.3.
Students are divided into the Arts and Science streams at S.4, with two Arts stream classes and three Science stream classes in each level from S.4 to S.5. One class in each of the two levels is offered nine HKCEE subjects, while the others are offered eight.
There is one Arts stream class and two Science stream classes in S.6 and S.7.

Extra-curricular activities

There are 4 houses, Bamboo , Camphor , Pine and Plum . More than 30 clubs and societies of academic, service, sports or other interests are also organized.


The school was founded in 1961, as one of the earlier secondary schools in the Tsuen Wan District. Today it is recognised as one of the leading schools in Hong Kong in terms of academic results.

Notable Tsuen Wan Government Secondary School Alumni

*CHEUNG Man-lung is a renowned accountant in Hong Kong. He is also an elite sprinter who specializes in 100 meter dash.

Shau Kei Wan Government Secondary School

Shau Kei Wan Government Secondary School is a co-educational grammar school operated by the Hong Kong Government in Hong Kong. Located in Shau Kei Wan, the school is founded in 1961 and its medium of instruction is .



Shau Kei Wan Government Secondary School was founded in 1961. As the school was still under construction, it operated in the shared premises of Clementi Middle School in Fortress Hill Road. It moved to its present premises at 42 Chai Wan Road of Chai Wan in the autumn of 1964 and was officially opened on 19 November 1964. It was the first government secondary school opened on Hong Kong Island after the Second World War, and was the first government secondary school not named after a member of the British Royal Family or a philanthropist.


In 1961, SGSS established on borrowed premises of Clementi Middle School with only 6 classrooms. The school officially opened by the Governor of Hong Kong, Sir David Trench in 1964.

The first batch of students sit for Hong Kong Certificate of Education Examination in 1966. In the same year, Form 6 Arts and Science classes were introduced. Furthermore, The first Annual Speech Day, Annual Swimming Gala and Annual Athletics Meet were held subsequently in 1967.

In 1968, the first batch of students sit for Hong Kong Advanced Level Examination . s and are set up. A new subject, Economics and Public Affairs, was introduced. In 1969, the first Parents' Night was held.


Integrated Science Pilot Scheme for Form 1 were introduced in 1973. The school library expanded with recruitment of teacher librarian in 1978. SSPA was introduced in the same year mentioned. Moreover, special classes for maladjusted children were implemented. JSEA was introduced in 1979.


The Extracurricular Activities Co-ordination Committee was set up in 1982. Human Biology, Economics and Moral Education were introduced in the same year.

In 1983, special classes were totally phased out. There are 29 classes in the school and streaming in Form 4 was started.

In 1984, Computer Studies was introduced. In 1985, Civic Education was introduced. In the same year, the school was visited by the Governor of Hong Kong Sir Edward Youde.

The school celebrated its silver jubilee in 1986. The opening ceremony of open day and Treeplanting Ceremony was officiated by Michael Leung, Director of Education. The 25th Anniversary School Magazine was published. Sex Education was introduced in the same year.

Putonghua lessons for S.1 and S.2 students were introduced. Moreover, the Reading Award Scheme organised by Library Committee was introduced too.


The Students' Association was formed in 1990. Shau Kei Wan Government Secondary School had his 30th Anniversary in 1991. The 30th Anniversary School Magazine was published. The Cake-Cutting Ceremony on Speech Day was officiated by John Winfield, Deputy Director of Education.

In 1992, SMI was being implemented. Health Education was introduced.

The School Advisory Council was formed in 1993. The school mission statement and goals were formulated in the same year. The Parent-Teacher Association was formed. Environmental Education was introduced and the Chinese Instrumental Group was set up.

In 1995, SGSS celebrated its 35th Anniversary. W. K. Lam, Director of Education, was invited to visit SGSS. The Cake-Cutting Ceremony at Speech Day was officiated by Professor Rosie Young, HKU. Furthermore, in 1996, the Ribbon-Cutting Ceremony of Open Day was officiated by Mr S. T. Kwan, Assistant Director of Education, and the 35th Anniversary School Magazine was published.

In 1997, the SGSS Alumni Association was formed.

In 1999, the Central Broadcasting System was set up. The Hall Lighting and Sound System was improved to a higher standard. The School Intranet was set up. In the same year, the Information Technology Room was opened and began to operate.


SGSS celebrated its 40th Anniversary in 2000. Air-conditioning was installed in the hall. Moreover, a new subject, Mathematics & Statistics, was introduced.

SGSS celebrated its 45th Anniversary in 2005. A music concert was organized on 7 July, 2006 in to celebrate this special occasion.

School Facilities

The school has a total of 31 classrooms , 3 prefabricated rooms, an Information Technology Room, a Multi-Media Learning Centre, 4 laboratories and 6 special rooms . In addition, the school has a library, a school hall, 2 staffrooms , a general office, a garden, a courtyard, a basketball court and a football pitch. In the new annex, there is a Conference Room, a Computer-Assisted Learning Room, a Language Room, a Student Activity Centre, an English Room, a Careers Library, a Social Worker’s Room and a Music Practice and Activities Room.

Alumni Association

The SGSS Alumni Association was formed in 1997 by a group of F.6 and F.7 students. In 2002, a Council was added to the structure of the Association in order to play the role of an advisor, as well as a monitor.

Notable Alumni

*Elvis Au Wai Kwong - Director of Environmental Protection,Environmental Protection Department, Hong Kong Government
* - Senior Counsel; Chairman of Hong Kong Bar Association from 2003 to 2005.
*Chan Kin Shek - Head of Geotechnical Engineering Office, Civil Engineering and Development Department, Hong Kong Government
*Allan Chiang Yam Wang - Former , Hong Kong Government
*Dr. Leonard Chow Kwun Hung - Former chairman of Asian Institute of Intelligent Buildings
*Frederick Fung Kin Kee - Legislator; Chairman of Association for Democracy and People's Livelihood
*Susan Ha Lau Yuen Yung - Coordinating Manager, Yijin Project; Principal of CCC Kung Lee College
*Ho Wai Lung - former Resident Director, Hong Kong Repertory Theatre; Artistic Director and Executive Director, Wan Chai Theatre
*Peter Lee Chung Hing - Deputy Managing Director, Citic Pacific
*Dr. Hon. Joseph Lee Kok Long - Health Services ; Assistant Professor & Programme Leader, Nursing Department, the Open University of Hong Kong
*Lui Shan - Canto-pop Singer
*Norman Lo Shung Man JP - Director-General of Civil Aviation, , Hong Kong Government
*Priscilla Lui Tsang Sun Kai - Director of Against Child Abuse
* - Canto-pop singer
*Professor Tse Shek Kam - Professor and Associate , Faculty of Education, the University of Hong Kong
*Andy Wong Ting Lam - Resident Choreographer and Dancer, DanceArt Hong Kong
*Stanley Wong Yuen Fai - Director & Deputy General Manager, Industrial and Commercial Bank of China Limited
*Dr. LEE Tsz Cheung - Scientific Officer , Hong Kong Observatory
*Professor Yung Kai Leung - One of the principal inventors of the Mars Rock Corer which was carried by Beagle 2 in 2003 to sample the soil on Mars; Professor and Associate Head, Department of Industrial and Systems Engineering, the Hong Kong Polytechnic University
*Andrew CHIU Ka-Yin - District Councillor , Eastern District Council; Member of Youth Committee, the Democratic Party Hong Kong


*In HKCEE 2006, a total of 148 distinctions and 712 credits were obtained.9 4.4% of the 231 students passed in five or more subjects. 68.4% of them scored 14 points or more in the best 6 subjects.
*In HKALE 2006, 56 Form 7 students scored a total of 21 distinctions and 129 credits. 89% of these students were offered places for degree courses at local universities.
*The school's Underwater Robot Team competed with teams from the USA and Canada in June and won 3 major awards - the ''Highest-scoring Rookie Award'', the ''Judges' Choice Award'' and the ''Best Poster Award''.

Sha Tin Government Secondary School

Sha Tin Government Secondary School is located in Sha Tin, Hong Kong. It was founded in September 1972 and has now become a fully-fledged co-educational grammar school. There are 30 classes with an enrollment of approximately 1,200 students in the year 2004-2005. The current principal is Mr. Chow Kam Cheung and the assistant principals are Mr. Lau Siu Ming and Mrs. Chung Kong Tak Ha .

School information

School organisation

The school is a co-educational secondary school founded by the Hong Kong Government. School policies are basically devised in accordance with the educational ordinances and policies of the Education Bureau.The School Management Committee is the top decision-making body. Its chairperson is an official appointed by the Education Bureau. The SMC also includes the school principal, two teacher representatives,two parent representatives, two alumni representatives and two community members. The present chairperson of the SMC is Mr. Steve Lee Yuk-fai, Principal Education Officer of the Education Bureau. The community members are Professor Kenneth Young and Mr. Dennis Chan, renowned artist and designer. The SMC is responsible for setting the direction of school development and managing the school budgets. The principal, with the help of two assistant principals, is responsible for the daily operation of the school.


There are 30 classrooms, 4 science laboratories, 5 computer rooms, 1 Multimedia Learning Centre and a number of special rooms such as the Student Activity Room, English Room, Art Room, Geography Room and Music Room. All classrooms are air-conditioned and most are equipped with audio-visual facilities. The playground is accessible to all students for sports and leisure in a restricted time. Other facilities include the newly-renovated air-conditioned School Hall, Library, Conference room, Teachers' Resources Center, Prefects' Room, Broadcasting Room, Social Worker's Room and Student Council Room.

The English room

The English Room is a meeting place specially designated for the English Debating Club and the English Association of the school. National/Regional flags of several places are hung up on the wall of the English Room, including Hong Kong, Canada and the United Kingdom.

Language policy

The school has been using English as the medium of instruction in all subjects except Chinese, Chinese Literature, Chinese History and Putonghua. To help students to become biliterate in English and Chinese, and trilingual in English, Mandarin and Cantonese, and to encourage students to learn English and Mandrin their daily life, the school organizes an English Speaking Day and a Mandarin Speaking Day every week.

Information technology in education

Access to the Internet and Intranet is available in every classroom and special room. The school incorporates digital movie production in the computer curriculum in the junior levels.

Alumni association

The Sha Tin Government Secondary School Alumni Association was established in 1995 as a non-profit organization. It aims at promoting liaison between alumni, acting as a bridge between alumni and Sha Tin Government Secondary School and organizing activities for alumni.

Queen's College, Hong Kong

Queen's College , initially named the The Government Central School in 1862, later renamed as Victoria College in 1889, is a sixth form college for boys with a secondary school attached. It was the first public secondary school founded in Hong Kong by the British colonial government. Queen's College obtained its present name in 1894 and it is now located at Causeway Bay, Hong Kong.

Brief history

The Central School was established in 1862 at Gough Street, Central. Dr. Frederick Stewart was appointed the first Headmaster of the Central School, as well as Inspector of Schools in the Colony.

The Headmaster of the Central School was responsible for supervising all schools in Hong Kong until March 1879 when the Government established a separate office for the Inspector of Schools, predecessor of the , which was later incorporated into the Education Bureau.

During the school's early years, the student population consisted of a variety of nationalities. Whereas Chinese students enrolled in English, students from other nationalities were expected to study Chinese classics.

Secular schooling sparked much controversies among the and religious leaders. In many occasions, the Governor personally scrutinized and intervened the school operations. The Government later established a grant program to put religious schools at the same funding level as the Central School.
On April 26, 1884, , Governor from 1883 to 1887, administered the stone-laying ceremony for the new school building at Aberdeen Street. As a student, Sun Yat-sen also attended the ceremony. On the recommendation of the Governor, the Central School was to be known as Victoria College when it moved to the new site.

The school moved to Aberdeen Street in 1889. At that time, the school was one of the largest and most expensive buildings in Hong Kong. In 1894, the school was renamed Queen's College. The Government originally planned to expand the College to an imperial university in the late 19th century, but it was abandoned due to the outbreak and Russo-Japanese War in 1904, when the British colonial government worried about the benefits it enjoyed in the Far-East may be jeopardised by the expanding Japanese power. Therefore, it was crucial to establish a university with the purpose to train graduates in war-related subjects, such as engineering and medicine, and this led to the establishment of the University of Hong Kong in 1910, while Queen's College remained as a secondary school in Hong Kong.

The Japanese invasion forced school closure in 1941. During the , the school site was used as the Army Headquarters. The two notable cannons at the current school entrance were found in the rubble at Aberdeen Street.

After World War II, the school re-opened in a temporary site on in 1947, sharing a campus with Clementi Secondary School. It moved to the present site on Causeway Road, opposite , on September 22, 1950.

A tourist tour on the history of Sun Yat-sen usually includes the location of the first site of the school at Gough Street, .

School song

Note: The melody of the school song of Queen's College is very similar to that of Heep Yunn School. This rendition of the school song is arranged by Dr. Lau Kai-chi, Anthony These two schools most probably adapted the melody from the school song of England's Harrow School, namely "Forty Years On", composed by John Farmer, lyrics by E. E. Bowen.

School Motto

The Motto of the school is "''Labor omnia vincit''". The school motto was later translated as "勤有功" in Chinese, which literally means "hard work brings merit". Many of the QC students and old boys live on these spirits and have contributed to the Hong Kong and the Chinese society. Dr. Sun Yat-sen and Mr. are two of the examples.

The school also put strong emphasis on its five core values: Diligence, Integrity, Brotherhood, Responsibility and Striving for excellence.

Enrollment and medium of instruction

There are 33 classes with approximately 1200 students on roll. Secondary One students are allocated by the Secondary School Place Allocation System. The Medium of Instruction is English .

Activities and achievements

All students are divided into eight School Houses, namely: Stewart, Wright, Dealy, Tanner, Crook, de Rome, Kay, and Williamson . The School Houses compete in Athletic Meets, Swimming Gala and other interhouse competitions. School teams regularly participate and excel in inter-school competitions.

There are also 54 clubs grouped under Sports, Recreational, Religious, Social Services, and Academic areas. Many clubs organize joint events with sister schools. School clubs also co-ordinate many charitable activities.

Queen's College students are known for excelling in . Historically, more students at the school have received 10 A grades on the HKCEE than at any other secondary school in Hong Kong. Out of over 572 secondary schools in Hong Kong, fewer than 30 have ever produced these so-called "10A" students. In particular, between 1990 and 2006, 50 Queen's College students have received 10 A's on the HKCEE. This number represents over 26% of the 10A scores received during this period.

In 2003, Queen's College students altogether received 455 A grades on the HKCEE, second only to La Salle College, which scored a record-high of 501 A grades. However, Queen's College received a record-high number of A grades per student.

The stellar academic performance of Queen's College students has been reflected in its representation at many of the world's best universities. Many excellent Form 6 students continue their education at prestigious overseas institutions in the United States, the People's Republic of China and the United Kingdom, while most Form 7 graduates enroll in prestigious local univerisites such as the University of Hong Kong, the Chinese University of Hong Kong and the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology.


First published in June 1899, the Queen's College school magazine, ''The Yellow Dragon'' , is now the world's oldest existing Anglo-Chinese school magazine. ''The Yellow Dragon'' is a priceless historical witness of the educational development of Hong Kong, as well as the social changes in Asia Pacific. The 100th volume of ''The Yellow Dragon'' has been published in 2005. In the Chinese section of the centenary volume, a brief conclusion of the past 100 volumes was written by seven students in 2005 to commemorate the special centenary occasion.

Another regular publication of the school is the school newspaper, "The Courier", which has been published since 1968. At the moment, 3 issues are produced per year with coverage on school's major functions and students' contributions.

Gwenneth Stokes, the first woman to become Associate to the Chief Justice of South Australia, and her husband John, the Principal of Queen's College from 1965 to 1970, spent two years researching at Queen's College, as well as in archives and libraries in Hong Kong, and the United Kingdom to compile the 494-page school history. The limited-edition book entitled ''Queen's College Its History 1862-1987'' was published by Queen's College Old Boys' Association in commemoration of the school's 125th anniversary in 1987.

List of notable alumni

Politicians, government officials, and legislators

* Sun Yat-sen , the chief leader of the 1911 Xinhai Revolution, the founding Provisional President of the Republic of China. He has been recognized as the "Father of the Nation" by the Chinese in Taiwan, Hong Kong, and overseas; while being called the "Forerunner of the Revolution" by the People's Republic of China Government.
* Liao Zhongkai , major Chinese revolutionary leader, the executive member of the Kuomintang Central Committee, foreign minister, military minister, financial minister, and labour minister of the Republic of China. He was assassinated by the rightists in Guangzhou, 20 August 1925.
* Tang Shaoyi , diplomat, politician. He was the first Prime Minister of the Republic of China, the first president of Shandong University, and an early overseas student who studied at Yale University. He was assassinated by Kuomintang in 1938.
* Wang Chunghui , Minister of Foreign Affairs, Minister of Justice, First Cabinet of the Republic of China, 1912.
* Chan Kam-tao , Minister of Finance, First Cabinet of the Republic of China, of Dr. Sun's Southern Government in Guangzhou during the 1920s.
* Wen Tsung-yao , Administrative Director, Dr. Sun's Southern Government in Guangzhou during the 1920s.
* Luk King-fo , Head of the Bureau of Foreign Affairs, Dr. Sun's Southern Government in Guangzhou during the 1920s.
* Leung Lan-fan, China's first Consul General to Australia during the 1900s, and Superintendent of Customs in Guangzhou during the 1920s.
* Henry Fok Ying Tung , a businessman who has been active in political field. He was the Vice-chairman of the Chinese People's Political Consultative Conference. He was recognized as one of the national leaders of the People's Republic of China.
* Rafael Hui , Chief Secretary for Administration of the HKSAR Government .
* Wong Yan Lung , Secretary for Justice of the HKSAR Government
* York Chow , Secretary for Health, Welfare, and Food, the HKSAR Government .
* Chan Tak Lam Norman , Ex-vice-president of Hong Kong Monetary Authority ; Vice-chairman of Standard Chartered Asia Pacific ; Founding member of the think-tank Bauhinia Foundation Research Centre .
* Kwok Kwok-chuen , Government Economist, former Chief Regional Economist, East Asia, of the Standard Chartered Bank.
* Tong Ka-wah, Ronny , from the Article 45 Concern Group as of 2004, former Chairman of the Hong Kong Bar Association.
* Szeto Wah , former , Chairman of the Hong Kong Alliance in Support of Patriotic Democratic Movements in China.
* Leong Che-hung , .
* , First Chinese Secretary for Security before Handover; First Secretary for Security of HKSAR.
* Lam Woon-kwong , Director of the Chief Executive's Office of HKSAR .


* Sir Robert Ho Tung , successful businessman and philanthropist.
* Sir Ho Kai , the founder of the Hong Kong College of Medicine, predecessor of the University of Hong Kong.
* Lee Hysan , the founder of Hysan Development Company Limited, prominent businessman who transformed Jardine's Hill into Lee Gardens.
* Kan Tung-po , prominent banker who established the Bank of East Asia.
* Jehangir Hormusjee Ruttonjee , founded first brewery in Hong Kong, the founder of the Ruttonjee Hospital.
* Tse Chuen-tai , the founder of the South China Morning Post.
* Ho Fook , successful businessman and philanthropist.
* Lau Chu-pak , the founder of the Chinese General Chamber of Commerce.
* Stanley Ho , nicknamed "King of Gambling", the wealthiest person in Macau. He is the Chairman of Shun Tak Holdings Limited.


* Wang Wenshan , sociologist, anarchist, student leader at the Peking University during the May-fourth Movement 1919. He contacted the Chinese communists and once met Vladimir Lenin in Moscow.
* Wang Chungyi , Professor of Pathology at University of Hong Kong. He was admired for his devotion to the development of pathological reseacrh in Hong Kong. He died of tuberculosis, a disease that he had spent enormous effort to fight against.
* Wong Kai-chi , writer, translator, literary critic of Chinese literature, former Head of Department, Department of Chinese Language and Literature, Chinese University of Hong Kong.
* Cheung Ng-sheung , well-known economist in Hong Kong, formerly Professor of Economics at the University of Hong Kong.
* Cheung Yau-kai , Honorary Professor of Engineering and Special Adviser to the Vice-Chancellor of The University of Hong Kong; formerly Pro-Vice-Chancellor and Acting Deputy Vice-Chancellor.
* Edward K.Y. Chen , Vice-Chancellor of Lingnan University, Hong Kong.
* Kwan Tze-wan , Professor, former Head of Department, Department of Philosophy, Chinese University of Hong Kong.
* Fok Tai-fai , Dean of the Faculty of Medicine, Chinese University of Hong Kong.
* Wong Kwok-pun, Lawrence , Professor at the Department of Translation of . His famous Chinese poem 'On Listening to Chan's Zither Performance' , written in the 1980s, has been one of the prescribed texts of the Chinese Language syllabus of the Hong Kong Certificate of Education Examination from 1993 to 2006.
* Sung Jao-yiu, Joseph , one of the most significant figures in Hong Kong's fighting with the SARS in 2003. He is the Associate Dean of the Faculty of Medicine, Chinese University of Hong Kong.
* Yuen Kwok-yung , another significant figure in the SARS crisis in Hong Kong. He is Henry Fok Professor in Infectious Diseases, and is currently working at the University of Hong Kong as the Chair and Head of the Department of Microbiology at the Faculty of Medicine.
* Chiang Mung , Assistant Professor, Department of Electrical Engineering, Princeton University.
* Shen Xuhui, Simon , international politics critic, Table-host of , Research Assistant Professor, Institute of Asia-Pacific Studies, The Chinese University of Hong Kong.
* Thoma Professor of Operations, Information, and Technology Stanford Graduate School of Business. Codirector of the Stanford Global Supply Chain Management Forum
* Pro-Vice-Chancellor / Vice-President, Professor of Orthopaedics and Traumatology Chinese University of Hong Kong.
* Professor of Neurology & Neurological Sciences Stanford University, Department of Neurology.

List of principals

* Dr. Frederick Stewart
* Dr. G.H. Bateson Wright
* Mr. T.K. Dealy, FRGS, FEIS, FCS, DRF
* Mr. Bartram Tanner,
* Mr. A.H. Crook,
* Mr. F.J. de Rome,
* Mr. M.G. O'Connor
* Mr. L.G. Morgan
* Mr. J.J. Ferguson
* Mr. H.N. Williamson,
* Mr. Cheung King-pak
* Mr. Wong Yee-wa
* Mr. F.C. Gamble
* Mr. John Stokes
* Mr. Raymond Huang
* Mr. William Cheung Yuk-ming
* Mr. Timothy Yung
* Mr. Chew Tung-sing
* Mr. Kong Shiu-chung
* Mr. Lee Kar-hung
* Mrs. Cheung Lam Lai-king Kitty
* Mr. Li Lok-yin

Queen Elizabeth School, Hong Kong

Queen Elizabeth School , or QES and QE for short, is the first co-education secondary school founded by the of Hong Kong. It is located on a mound at the boundary of Sai Yee Street and Prince Edward Road West in Mong Kok, Kowloon and adjacent to Grand Century Place, CCC Heep Woh Primary School and HK Weaving Mills Association Primary School .

The school was conceived in 1953 when Queen Elizabeth II of the United Kingdom was crowned. Later it was ran in September 1954 but operated as an after school on the premises in , until October 1955 when it moved to the present location in Mong Kok.

The QES school camp in Cham Chuk Wan, Sai Kung District, the New Territories was opened in 1962. With the handover of Hong Kong to China in 1997, the original school badge with a was changed to a new one with the logo of the Education Department. Later, the Education Department was replaced by the Education and Manpower Bureau , and the school badge was altered again.

The school's new annexe was opened in September 2004.


School camp

Founding a campsite in Cham Chuk Wan, Sai Kung District, the New Territories in 1962, Queen Elizabeth School is the only school in Hong Kong, which owns a school camp. Every year the school offers training course for S.3 students who are called Wardens in Training . After an annual training, the qualified students then become Camp Wardens .


*School magazines:published per year since 1954 when the school was founded. Issue 54 will be issued this year.
*《未學集》: edited and issued by & Chinese History Society of the school per two years, formerly 《新苗集》. The last version is 《未學集三編》.
*Magazine for the golden jubilee: will be issued this year.
*Other special magazines


* Mr. Cheong Wai-fung
* Mr. Arthur Hinton
* Mr. T. McC. Chamberlain
* Mr. H.N. McNeil
* Mr. Tan Peng-kian
* Dr. Su Chung-jen
* Mr. Chan Ping-tat
* Mr. Yeung Chi-hung
* Mrs. Sin Chow Dick-yee
* Mr. Yeung Chi-hung
* Mrs. Pang Cheung Yee-fan


Science, culture & art

* :zh:潘天佑: scientist, expert of the National Aeronautics and Space Administration ,
* 張建平:Director for Mechanics and Materials at the Engineering Directorate of the National Science Foundation’s , U.S.A.,
* 宋曼瑛:亞洲研究知名學者、紐西蘭奧克蘭大學中文系高級講師
* 胡蔭亭:英語測試權威專家
* Wu Yin Ching : 散文和小說作家、新詩詩人
* 覃恩美: drama actor

Politics, economics & law

* Chu Pui Hing : Former Director of Broadcasting of Radio Television Hong Kong
* Lau Mak Yee-ming, Alice, J.P. :Commissioner,
* :zh:邱文華:former anchorman of TVB News,現社區發展經理
* :前助理處長,前僱員再培訓局行政總監
* Li Kwan Ha:Former Commissioner of Hong Kong Police Force
* 丘李賜恩:前處長
* 陳鄭綺艷:Former Chairman of the HK Tourist Board
* Pansy Wong:New Zealand's first ethnically Asian MP
* 陳淑儀:Lawyer, wife of councillor Alan Leong
* 石鏡泉:Financial columnist


* 湯偉奇:香港道教聯合會主席、商人
* 王春波:香港醫療資訊學會主席、doctor
* Simon Chau Sui-Cheong:environmentalist
* Zac Koo : artist
* Fanny Wong : artist

Li Ying College

Li-Ying College (Traditional Chinese: 力瀛書院; Hanyu Pinyin: Lì Yíng Shū Yuàn) was one of the first schools established in Imperial Hong Kong. It was founded circa 1075 during the Song Dynasty.


The founder "Tang Fu Hsieh" was a native of Kiangsu province in China. The school was located in the area known today as Kam Tin, New Territories in Hong Kong. The school's was well known for its large library of Chinese classics. In imperial times, schools were designed with a strong emphasis on the , which were used to prepare court staff members. By the Qing Dynasty, the Chinese government in 1662 and 1664 brought down schools as a strategy against Ming Dynasty loyalists. The school was in ruins by the early 19th century.

Notable alumni

* 1259 - The first jìnshì 进士-degree was granted to "Huang Shih".
* 15th/16th/17th Century - Several scholars gained jǔrén 举人-degrees.
* 1685 - A descendent of the founder, "Tan Wen Wei" was granted a degree in "Chin-shih" and was appointed district in Chekiang.
* 1754 - "Chiang Shih Yuan" of Tai Po District earned a jìnshì 进士-degree and became well known for his literary accomplishments in southern China.
* 1789 - "Tang Ying Yuen ", a well-known local calligrapher, passed his military examination . He later built the "So Lay Yuen Study Hall" at "Shui Tau Tsuen" in Kam Tin.

Li Sing Primary School

Li Sing Primary School, in Sai Ying Pun, Hong Kong, is a government primary school. Its present site was formerly "Saiyingpun Anglo-Chinese School", which became in 1926. Li Sing Primary School was founded in September 1954 in memory of Li Sing, a Hong Kong businessman. In January 1955, the school was officially opened by Li Po Chun, one of the sons of Li Sing.

The school is located between Pokfulam Road and , resulting in a very small area. A part of the school building is occupied by Western Dental Clinic. Due to the busy traffic in Pokfulam Road, the school suffers from and noise pollution. Around 1992, double glass windows and were installed so as to improve the physical environment. Around 1995, extension work was carried out, resulting in an extra floor above the existing building.

In the old days when there were not enough primary schools in Hong Kong, Li Sing Primary School existed as both an school and school. The two schools were independent of each other, though they shared the same building. However, because of the reduction in the birth rate and educational reform, the Education and Manpower Bureau renewed the ex-Law Fu Institute of Education located in 9A Bonham Road and turned it into the new school building of Li Sing Primary School PM. Li Sing Primary School PM was then renamed Bonham Road Government Primary School in 1998. The two schools now both serve as whole-day schools.

Kwun Tong Government Secondary School

Kwun Tong Government Secondary School is a co-educational and E.M.I. school. It was founded in 1982. It is located at 9 Shun Chi Street, Shun Chi Court, Shun Lee, Kowloon, Hong Kong.

Kowloon Technical School

Kowloon Technical School is a technical secondary school founded by the Hong Kong Government in Sham Shui Po, Kowloon, Hong Kong. The school motto is Thorough .


The school is run as a government technical secondary school, emphasizing on Whole Person Education . In addition to the typical secondary school curriculum, KTS enriches their students with a wide range of subjects including technical, commerce, civil education, and information technology. The list of elective subjects includes literature, science, social science, informational technology, and commerce. In the 2005 - 06 academic year, the school has a total of 29 classes. There are 5 classes each from Form 1 - 5 , and 2 classes each from Form 6 - 7 .


Kowloon Technical School provides their students with a strong curriculum in science and technology. Together with the traditional science and technology education, students can learn advanced subjects ranging from information technology, graphic communications, to electronics.

General personal development is another area of emphasis. Students develop their skills and abilities through the study of a wide range of subjects including physical education, music, arts, civic education, general studies, etc.


Originally called Sham Shui Po Technical School, the school was founded on 11th September, 1961. In 1964, it merged with Fuk Wah Secondary Modern School and was renamed as Kownloon Technical School. As a result of the merger, the school became the largest secondary school in Hong Kong at the time. In the late 1960's and 1970's, Kowloon Technical School had more than 1900 students with 51 classes. However, due to rapid development of other areas in Kowloon, families have started to move to new areas away from Sham Shui Po. The student population has gradually reduced to around 1100.

In 1997, the ''Review of Prevocational and Secondary Technical Education'' proposed that technical schools change their name by removing the labelling terms. Kowloon Technical School was invited to change their name to ''Kowloon Government Secondary School'' . However, due to the strong objections from the school administration, the original name of the school was preserved.

In 1998, the teaching language was changed from English to Chinese. In 1999, the School Management Committee of Government Schools was founded.

Notable Alumni

* Vincent Cheng - HSBC Asia Pacific President
* Ambrose Lee - HKSAR Secretary for Security Bureau
* Albert Cheng - LegCo member
* - LegCo member
* - Former LegCo
* Anthony Wong Yiu Ming - Singer

King's College, Hong Kong

King’s College is a secondary school in Sai Ying Pun, Hong Kong, and was founded on its present site in 1926. The premises were damaged in World War II and rebuilt and refurnished after the war. Since then the orthodox structure has reserved its facades of grey granite columns against a background of crimson bricks, arched corridors and cadaverous garden.

School history

The name "King's College" was first bestowed in 1922 when the current site, 63A Bonham Road, was selected for the construction of a secondary school. Previously the school had been known as Saiyingpun Anglo-Chinese School and had been located on Third Street, then later on the present site of the Li Sing Primary School on Pokfulam Road. Saiyingpun Anglo-Chinese School dated back as far as 1879, when the authorities decided to set up a Free School at , and appointed Fung Fu, a student who had returned from , as headmaster.

The foundation stone of the new building was laid in 1923. Construction lasted over 3 years and was completed in 1926. Three months later the school building was opened, though it was immediately commandeered for use as a military camp and hospital for the British Shanghai Defence Force that was sent to protect the British subjects in the British Section of the then Shanghai Treaty Port. In 1928, the building was returned to the school and it on 5th March, 1928 the school was formally opened by the Governor H. E. Sir Cecil Clementi, K.G.M.G., LL.D., M.A

When the College was first built, it had the enviable reputation of being the best school building in the entire Far East. Built around the three sides of a square, the building comprised a North Wing, a South Wing and an East Wing. The Bell Tower above the main entrance distinguished the overall appearance of King’s while the delicate school garden further enhanced its exquisiteness. In total there were 29 classrooms, two laboratories, a library and museum, a Geography Room, a Gymnasium, a Great Hall with gallery, a workshop, a Photographic Room, a playground and a swimming pool. Each student was given a numbered desk and the school could accommodate no fewer than 720 students. The playground was divided into three courts - for basketball, volleyball and tennis. It also contained a jumping pit. The school year commenced on 1st November and ended on 31st July of each year. From 1926 – 1930, it was a whole-day school but by 1930, it had become a half-day school with activities in the afternoon.

Ever since its founding, King's has played a significant role in the history of education in Hong Kong. Its contribution was highly commented on in the St. John's Review, which remarked that "to thousands of former students, many of whom are leaders in commerce and public life of the Colony, to be without King's and Queen's was to be like an Englishman without his Oxford and Cambridge and an American without his Yale and Harvard." The massive success could be attributed to the high capability of the first three Principals – , William Kay and H.G. Wallington . Sadly while King's was enjoying this Golden Age, the Pacific War broke out after the attack on Pearl Harbor in December 1941. King's College was used as a first aid station, having been fully equipped as such by the first Principal, A. Morris St. John's Ambulance. When Hong Kong was occupied by the Japanese on Christmas Day, King's College was used as a military mule and horse stable for the Japanese Army. Two of the teachers, Mr Coxhead and Mr Ferguson, were taken prisoner, and sent to Sham Shui Po Prisoner-of-War Camp, while the Principal, Mr Wallington, was sent to Stanley Prison. Coxhead was later sent to a labour camp in Japan.

The tragic war visited terrible destruction upon Hong Kong and King's College was not spared that. The was undoubtedly an unhappy intermission, for all usual activities of the school came to a halt and the school building was entirely destroyed by looters. During the last two weeks immediately after the withdrawal of the Japanese Army, the school building was almost wholly shattered, leaving an unfilled red brick skeleton. But, as every cloud has a silver lining, bright days were in store for King's. The tragedy of destruction was soon to be followed by the delight of restoration.

In 1945, a number of former teachers, led with remarkable fortitude by J.J. Ferguson and the old boys, started the renewal of King's as a Primary School by sharing a bi-sessional school on Kennedy Road with Queen's College, Hong Kong. Afterwards King's moved back to Hollywood Road and was called Hollywood Road A.M. School.

In 1950, invigorated and renewed, King's was fully reopened as a two-sessional co-educational Primary School, and was offered the name King's College Primary School. It then stood in its earliest site again. H.T. Woo was appointed headmaster, and remained so for only one year. In the following years, the school was restored as a Secondary A.M. school with C.W. Sargison as Principal. Then for the first time in the school's history, girls were admitted. The first phase of re-development of the school buildings was completed by 1953 with the addition of two laboratories, a Preparation Room, a Lecture Room, an Art Room and five classrooms in the South Wing and East Wing. The enrolment figure soared to 750.

In 1954, Sargison was succeeded by F.K. Leung, an old boy and a pupil of A. Morris, who made history by being the first Chinese Principal of the school. In the same year, an extra Secondary Upper Six was operated to make places available for students who planned to sit for the revised Hong Kong University Matriculation Examination. 1955 witnessed the first group of King's graduates, 14 in total, entering University after the war.

The pressing need for further expansion of the school finally received a positive response from the government. An additional floor was added to the South Wing and the two floors above the gymnasium were restored. Additionally, an extra floor was added on top of the East Wing in the front of the Hall gallery, which later became the library. The final stage of construction work was completed by December 1959 and fitting out of the new premises followed in the next few months.

It was during Coxhead's tenure of office that King's College entered a new stage of alteration and progress. In 1963, Secondary Lower Six Arts classes were opened after a hiatus of several years. This restored the balance between Science and Arts classes though the demand for entrance to Science or Medicine classes was still greater. From 1966 onwards, girls were admitted only in Secondary 6.

In 1967, H.W. Clarke succeeded Coxhead as Principal and it was during the next three years that King's witnessed a climax of academic attainment. In 1968, 64 distinctions were obtained by King’s College students in the Hong Kong University Matriculation Examination, an unprecedented achievement. By 1971, D.R. Madan was appointed Principal and King's students continued to achieve magnificent feats in both academic and extracurricular fields.

In October 1977, K.F. Chu, an old boy who had graduated in 1938, became Principal. The fountain of the school garden was repaired and its pedestal was turned into a gorgeous pond for the breeding of goldfish and various other species of carp. A Bauhinia tree was planted in the northern corner of the school garden while the palm tree planted in 1971 had grown to 3 storeys tall. In April 1986, a time capsule was buried in the school garden.

In September 1986, W.T. Poon succeeded Chu Ka Fai as Principal and the entire enrolment soared to 1200. Poon was famed throughout the for being his lively and enthusiastic personality. With him came some great improvements in the school. A public address system was installed in the playground, which proved to be effective in developing a greater sense of unity in students. Under Poon's leadership, the students won the International Mathematics Olympiad Championship.

For the first time in the history of the school, Study Tours to Singapore and Malaysia were organized with part of the funds sponsored by the K.C.O.B.A.. Since then, Study Tours have proven to be very popular with King's students. In March 1992 the first K.C. Student Union was formed after a democratic election.

The transition year of 1997, when Hong Kong was returned to the motherland, provided King's College a golden chance to renew its oath to play a major role in the community of Hong Kong and China. This year was a year in which King’s College eminent graduates' achievements were recognized by Hong Kong society. King’s College old boy, Dr. Simon Li Fook Sean, received the Grand Bauhinia Medal from the HKSAR Government in acknowledgment of his stupendous contributions to Hong Kong and China. Dr. Li was among the first recipients of this award.

Following the appointment of a new principal, Ho Yue Shun, in 1998, King's College has undergone massive changes, especially on the information technology front. King's was enlisted as one of the few secondary school participants in a pilot scheme for the application of IT in education. A sum of HK$6M was granted for the acquisition of hardware and the installation of King's College's own intranet. An Information Technology Open Day was launched, which was followed by the launch of the school website, school intranet and a renovated IT room complete with modern computer facilities.

On January 29, 2000, two well-known old boys, the Hon. Dr. C.Y. Leung of the Executive Council, and Dr. Simon F.S. Li, graced us with their presence as special Guests of Honour at the historic moment of the opening of the West Wing. The equally elegant red brick addition to King’s College current campus was not simply another piece accommodation with new, well-resourced classrooms and laboratories, but also represented the an initiation of a new stage in the evolution of King's College.


The campus was put up all over a central all-weather playground. Teaching and learning come to pass in 34 classrooms and a variety of special rooms, counting a multi-media learning centre, an IT room, a computer room, a scouts room, 2 student activities rooms, 6 laboratories, 3 special rooms, a medical-inspection room, a library, a lecture room, a hall, a gymnasium and a swimming pool. Throughout the year, with hold-up from the Education and Manpower Bureau and the Architectural Services Department, all the floors in the old wing were re-laid and the classrooms rewired. A central air-conditioning system was installed in the school hall. Every teacher's desk in all the staff rooms was endowed with a desktop computer and a digital display board was placed close to the doorway of the school. More contemporary and brighter lighting, together with fans, was installed in the covered playground, likewise the gymnasium.

Activities and achievements

*Art Club
*Astronomy Club
*Biology Club
*Bridge Club
*Business Club
*Chemistry Society
*Chess Club
*Chinese Club
*Christian Fellowship
*Community Youth Club
*Computer Club
*Current Affairs Society
*Debating Society
*Debating Society
*Drama Society
*Electrical Science Club
*English Society
*Gardening Club
*Geography Society
*Hong Kong Award For Young People
*Handicraft Club
*History Society
*Junior Police Call
*Mathematics Club
*Photographic Team
*Physics Club
*Putonghua Club
*Quiz Contests
*Rambling Club
*Hong Kong Scounts 5th Group
*Social Services Group
*St. John's Ambulance Cadets
*Stamp Club
*Youth Red Cross Cadet Unit 21
*Sports Council
*Music Association
*King's College Orchestra


*The Fig Tree - School Magazine
*The Bridge - School Newspaper

Notable alumni

*Leung Chun Ying
*Simon Li Fook-sean
*Chan Yuk Cheung
*Sin Chow Yiu
*Chan, K.C.
*Raymond Or Ching-fai
*Chan Wing Luk
*Hui Kei On
*Liang Wei Guo
*C.Y. Chau

Jockey Club Government Secondary School

Jockey Club Government Secondary School or JCGSS is a government funded full time secondary school in in Kowloon Tong, Hong Kong. The school was formed in 1960 and the school building was built with the generous donation by the Royal Hong Kong Jockey Club .


Jockey Club Government Secondary School was established in 1960 as Jockey Club Modern School . In the 1950's to 60's Hong Kong, 41% of the population were under the age of 15. It was due to the mass migration of Chinese refugees arrived in Hong Kong after the . It presented an education crisis to the Government because the number of existing schools was not enough to cater the need of the children. As a result, a lot of schools were established in order to resolve the issue and JCGSS was one of them.

Due to the urgent need of education for a large population, classes was temporarily held in Perth Street Government School until 10th, October, 1961, when the current 3 storey building complex was completed. The school was divided to Morning School and Afternoon School in order to provide maximum number of seats. Both schools provided 3-year education aimed at preparing students for direct entry into employment or for further vocational training. The school was named after the Royal Hong Kong Jockey Club which offered generous donation for the construction of the building.

In 1963, the school was expanded to provide the standard 5-year secondary education and renamed Jockey Club Government Secondary Technical School . In the next year, JCGSS became a full day school in order to offer better educational environment for students.
In 1975, the school was once again expanded, to provide the 7-year full secondary education.
The school was renamed to Jockey Club Government Secondary School in 1997.


*Mr Tristan ; Mr S. K. Buse
*Mr Barens
*Mr H. J. Head
*Mr Zeon-Hoi Sit
*Mr Ping-tat Chan
*Mr Ping-Jyun Chan
*Mr Jin-Zan Wong
*Mr Ye-Sau Yung
*Mr Wen-Man Leung
*Mr Chun-may Hung

Clementi Secondary School

Clementi Secondary School , a secondary school in North Point of Hong Kong. Founded by Hong Kong Government, the school has the longest history in using Chinese language as medium of instruction in Hong Kong.


The Governor of Hong Kong Cecil Clementi, who had a profound interest in the Chinese language, decided to establish a school using Chinese as the medium of instruction. In 1926, Clementi Government Vernacular Middle School was founded. Clementi Government Vernacular Middle School is the first government school to use Chinese as the medium of instruction. Li King Hong, the then-Chinese language inspector of schools, was appointed the first principal of the school.

During World War II, the school suspended its operations under the Japanese Occupation of Hong Kong. After the war, the school was renamed Government Vernacular Senior Middle School . It was renamed again in 1951 to Clementi Middle School and in 1988 to Clementi Secondary School, after the governor.

The school has been relocated several times and its current site at Fortress Hill Road was established on 23rd September 1961.

The school Principal now is Mr. Li Kwok-kai , who succeeded Mrs. Tang, Wai Ling Chan upon her retirement in 2006.



* , Biochemist, Dean of United College, The Chinese University of Hong Kong,Chairman and Professor of Biochemistry at The Chinese University of Hong Kong,.
* Leung Pak-wah Edwin,Professor of Asian Studies at Seton Hall University and medalist of Ellis Island Medal of Honor.
* Wong Cheuk-Yin, Physicist, former chairman of Overseas Chinese Physics Association, U.S.A.
*,Biologist, Chair Professor, Department of Biology, Hong Kong Baptist University.

Politicians, government officials, and legislators

* Lee Ming Kwai, Former Commissioner of Police of Hong Kong.
* Leung Kwok-hung, a political activist in Hong Kong, China.
* Tsang Yam Pui, Former Commissioner of Police of Hong Kong.