The school was conceived in 1953 when Queen Elizabeth II of the United Kingdom was crowned. Later it was ran in September 1954 but operated as an after school on the premises in , until October 1955 when it moved to the present location in Mong Kok.
The QES school camp in Cham Chuk Wan, Sai Kung District, the New Territories was opened in 1962. With the handover of Hong Kong to China in 1997, the original school badge with a was changed to a new one with the logo of the Education Department. Later, the Education Department was replaced by the Education and Manpower Bureau , and the school badge was altered again.
The school's new annexe was opened in September 2004.
Founding a campsite in Cham Chuk Wan, Sai Kung District, the New Territories in 1962, Queen Elizabeth School is the only school in Hong Kong, which owns a school camp. Every year the school offers training course for S.3 students who are called Wardens in Training . After an annual training, the qualified students then become Camp Wardens .
*School magazines：published per year since 1954 when the school was founded. Issue 54 will be issued this year.
*《未學集》: edited and issued by & Chinese History Society of the school per two years, formerly 《新苗集》. The last version is 《未學集三編》.
*Magazine for the golden jubilee: will be issued this year.
*Other special magazines
* Mr. Cheong Wai-fung
* Mr. Arthur Hinton
* Mr. T. McC. Chamberlain
* Mr. H.N. McNeil
* Mr. Tan Peng-kian
* Dr. Su Chung-jen
* Mr. Chan Ping-tat
* Mr. Yeung Chi-hung
* Mrs. Sin Chow Dick-yee
* Mr. Yeung Chi-hung
* Mrs. Pang Cheung Yee-fan
Science, culture & art
* :zh:潘天佑: scientist, expert of the National Aeronautics and Space Administration ,
* 張建平：Director for Mechanics and Materials at the Engineering Directorate of the National Science Foundation’s , U.S.A.,
* Wu Yin Ching : 散文和小說作家、新詩詩人
* 覃恩美: drama actor
Politics, economics & law
* Chu Pui Hing : Former Director of Broadcasting of Radio Television Hong Kong
* Lau Mak Yee-ming, Alice, J.P. ：Commissioner,
* :zh:邱文華：former anchorman of TVB News，現社區發展經理
* Li Kwan Ha：Former Commissioner of Hong Kong Police Force
* 陳鄭綺艷：Former Chairman of the HK Tourist Board
* Pansy Wong：New Zealand's first ethnically Asian MP
* 陳淑儀：Lawyer, wife of councillor Alan Leong
* 石鏡泉：Financial columnist
* Simon Chau Sui-Cheong：environmentalist
* Zac Koo : artist
* Fanny Wong : artist